Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I need it... I want it... but is it a GOAL?


Okay, it's early in February, and there is a chance that some of us are still on track with some of the NEW stuff we planned to accomplish for the New Year... Hopefully, the How to Write SMART Goals posting helped a bit!

Here is another question, and the answers may help refine your goal setting strategies further!

What is the difference between a goal and a "need" or a "want"?

Needs are logical (“I need to lose weight to be more healthy”) and wants are emotional (“I want to lose some weight because it makes me feel better about myself”). Needs and wants don’t always match… nor are they enough to spur people into action, most often. Everyone who smokes knows they “need” to quit (logically) but the “want” for the nicotine’s effect is strong and often results in the smoker NOT taking action.

What about wishes? 
A wish implies that results won’t be achieved. “I wish I could…. ” (implied: 'but I can’t')
Semantics? Perhaps; but why not re-frame the wish into a goal and see what happens?

So, what exactly is a goal?
A goal specifically defines the logic of a need and links it to the emotional attachment of a want and adds an active phase to produce a desired result within a defined timeframe. It is concrete. It is not just out there somewhere - in "wish-world"!

Well, I wish I could write more (I won't) but I need (logically) to get some sleep because I want (emotional and unspecific) to achieve more each day! But really my GOAL is to increase my sleep to 7 hours each night by the end of this month, and I'm going to achieve that by heading to bed 15 minutes earlier each weeknight until I achieve my optimal bedtime. Okay, you get it!

We'll talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment